Friday, August 31, 2018

Guest Post: Jennifer

The blogger's mom here. The blogger doesn't seem impressed with my thoughts (that I keep asking her to add in) so I've hijacked the computer momentarily.
Some largely unorganized thoughts on South Africa:
 
1) When reading Trevor Noah's book Born a Crime, I was so impressed with the number of languages he speaks (six!). But after a week here, it became clear that most black South Africans speak at least four languages and many of the white South Africans speak three or more. SA has 11 official languages - the most of any country in the world. Xhosa is our favorite language so far.

2) The name Soweto comes from South West Township, as it is the township SW of Jo'burg that the Apartheid government sent the black Africans to when they took over power. But the black people "joked" that it stood for "so where to now?" as they had been displaced from their homes and sent to the ghetto. Seeing the lasting effects of Apartheid 20+ years after the government fell was notably more depressing than learning about it in high school. (Soweto is still home to 3.5-4 million black Africans.) That said, I can't imagine coming to Jo'burg without going to Soweto - such an important part of understanding the awful history (and current situation) here.  Plus, the lunch at the hostel there was fantastic, and likely the most authentic black South African food we'll have. 

3) Everyone here calls Ben "Benten".  I mentioned that I thought this was a cool "new" nickname for him....at which point he looked at me like I was crazy and said, "mom, it's not new; some people at home call me that too." Me: Really? "Yes, mom, it's a TV show. Benten. The main character is a boy named Benten." Hhhhmmm. Apparently, the South Africans watch more American cartoons than I do. 
Addition: If fact, the kids just read this and informed me it's Ben 10, not Benten.....

4) We've yet to have a meal in which the server has written down our order. City, rural, guesthouse, restaurant, cheap, less cheap.....never once. Seems like we have a ways to go in the US in this department.

5) There appears to be nothing more South African than the bar-b-que (know as a braai (rhymes with dry). Regardless of skin color or language, everyone does it.  Every place has one. The grocery store are stocked like folks BBQ every night. The kitchen at one guesthouse had just about nothing in it (to cook with) but the BBQ was stocked with everything you'd need. Where's Walter Afable to enjoy some good BBQ'd meat when you need him?

4 comments:

  1. I love the guest post! When is Benten going to guest write?! I want to hear his take on things!
    -Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, here is my first comment. With Kristi's help, I have located your "blog," a word and concept that did not exist until about 10 years ago. So I am unfamiliar with how to access it. My favorite photos so far are: Ben 10 looking back in the vehicle just after he has seen the cape buffalo, and 2) the kids looking at the waterfall.

    Abby, I like your blog. I like your sense of humor. It is understated. I like when you tell us about your parents being annoyed with one another, thus proving they are normal, and how you and Ben 10 hid until the tension has subsided. I remember doing that too as a kid. Fortunately I lived in a big enough house that I could escape when my parents argued. Actually, I never remember my real parents arguing. Only my Dad and stepmother. But that is OK because I would have argued with her too. Did I ever tell you about throwing my music book through a window and breaking it when she would not take me to a music lesson? That will teach her not to do that again.

    I can already see the disadvantage of commenting on a blog post. There is no spell check. Gotta do it on my own. I much prefer Word.

    I also vote to hear from Ben 10 on a blog post. You can do it, Ben 10!

    I have also driven a stick shift on British roads. It is scary at first. And going through a traffic circle the "wrong" way (for us Americans) is nerve wracking.

    Happy birthday tomorrow, Abby!
    Love, Grandpa Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are definitely going to have to tell me about the music book when I see you next! I haven't heard that one.

    ReplyDelete